The Vovolini Archives were established in 1997 and is already considered one of the most important sources on the economic and general history of Greece, since they cover about 150 years and offer insights on unknown aspects of the establishment and subsequent development of the modern Greek state.
The Archives' main collection comprises documents produced by the Vovolini Brothers who were experts in the process of collecting and archiving information and documentation.
Journalist Spyros Vovolinis was the founding editor of Viomichaniki Epitheorisis (Industrial Review, a magazine first published in 1934 that continues to this day under the name Economiki Epitheorisi) while Konstantinos A. Vovolinis, an author on a wide range of subjects as well as a journalist, was also involved in politics.
The Archives' classification follows the professional and public activities of the Vovolini Brothers. Apart from a section containing documents on their private and family life, the contents of the Archives are subdivided as follows:
-Konstantinos Vovolinis sub-fonds
-Spyros Vovolinis sub-fonds
Today the Vovolini Archives continues to develop and enrich its collections. The acquisition of other archives, mainly a part of author Vassilis Vassilikos' Archives in 2003, has lent the Vovolini Archives a new momentum.
In addition, an "Oral History Archive" has been compiled, comprising interviews with entrepreneurs and company executives, politicians and scientists, with an aim to document and salvage valuable information about Greece's economic, political and social life. Among those interviewed are the architect and academician Pavlos Mylonas (1915-2005), the businessmen (also chairmen of the Hellenic Federation of Enterpises-formerly Federation of Greek Industries) Dimitris Marinopoulos, Theodoros Papalexopoulos, Iason Stratos, Stelios Argyros, Andreas Kanellopoulos, the entrepreneur Kitty Kyriacopoulos etc.
The Library, a fundamental part of the Archives, employs the ABEKT 5.5 classification system (the Library Automation Software) developed by the National Documentation Centre, contains a large number of older as well as contemporary publications with a particular focus on history, finance and economics.
The Vovolini Archives supports scientific publications and research programmes providing documentation and illustration material. It also organizes and participates in exhibitions and other events. More precisely, the Archives' activities have included:
-Organization and/or participation in exhibitions and other events:
1. Exhibition on Greek business in the 20th century: People and Activities, in cooperation with ELIA, the Hellenic Literary and Historical Archive (in the City of Athens Technopolis Park, 15-22 November November 1999 and in Thessaloniki, within the framework of the 1999 edition of Money Show in the Hyatt Regency Hotel, 11-12 December 1999.
2. Three-day festival in the port city of Piraeus, within the framework of the celebration of the European Days of Cultural Heritage (at the Piraeus Chamber of Commerce and Industry, 21-23 September 2001), in cooperation with the Institute for the Study of Local History and the History of Entreprises (IMTIIE), the Zenon Field Club, the Historical Archive of the Municipality of Piraeus, the Therapy Center for Dependent Individuals (KETHEA)-Nostos Programme-Nostos Rehabilitation Community, the Piraikos Society etc.
3. Exhibition on "Reporting on Shipping: Exhibition of the Greek specialized Shipping Press", in cooperation with the Botsis Foundation for the Promotion of Journalism (at the Piraeus Chamber of Commerce and Industry, 18-21 November 2002)
4. Presentation of the Vovolini Archives at the Meeting of the Directors of the Archives of the Ministries of Foreign Affairs of the member-states of the European Union and of its Institutions, within the framework of the 2003 Greek EU Presidency (Ermoupolis, Syros, 15-16 May 2003)
5. Exhibition on "The foundation of the European Economic Community and Greece's European course 1946-1981", in cooperation with the Service of Diplomatic and Historical Archives of the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs (at the premises of Kerkyra Publications, June 2003)
6. Participation in the development and implementation of a research programme on "Historic Mines in the Aegean Sea, 19th-20th century", in cooperation with the School of Architecture of the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA) and the Piraeus Bank Group Cultural Foundation. The programme included the recording, assessment and inquiry on re-use of historic mining installations and complexes in the Aegean, the organization of a scientific conference (Milos Conference Center-George Eliopoulos, island of Milos, 3-5 October 2003) and the production of a documentary, directed by Nikos Ellinikakis. The documentary "The ages of minerals in the Aegean" was presentd in a special screening organized by the Vovolini Archives and the Urban Environment Laboratory of the School of Architecture of the NTUA (at the premises of Kerkyra Publications, 16 June 2004)
7. Exhibition on "Business and Tradition: Historical Continuity and Anniversary Celebrations", organized within the framework of the 70th anniversary celebration of the magazine Viomichaniki Epitheorisis (and on the occasion of its renaming to Economiki Epitheorisi), as well as the 10th anniversary of the Panhellenic Student Contest (at the premises of Kerkyra Publications, 9 December 2001-31 May 2004; Dais Cultural Center, 22-24 November 2004).
8. Exhibition on "Rallou Manou-Nikos Hadjikyriakos-Ghikas. Hydra: common locus", organized by the Greek Chorodrama in cooperation with the Historical Archive and Museum of Hydra and with the support of the Vovolini Archives (at the premises of the Historical Srchive and Museum of Hydra, island of Hydra, July 2006).
-Documentation and illustrations in kerkyra Publications-Economia Publishing books:
1. Greek businesses from the 20th to the 21st century: People and activities [in Greek]
2. Federation of Greek Industries (1907-2007) [in Greek]
3. The history of the food industry [in Greek]
4. Maritime capital on land [in Greek]
5. Alexandrian Families: Choremis-Benakis-Salvagos [in Greek]
6. Birth pains: Restructuring the Greek Banking System (1927-1929) [in Greek]
7. The economy of Northern Greece through the pages of Viomichaniki Epitheorisis vol. 1: 1934-1954 [in Greek]
8. The economy of Northern Greece through the pages of Viomichaniki Epitheorisis vol. 2: 1955-1984 [in Greek]
9. Grande Bretagne: a symbol of a hotel [in Greek]
10. The Hotel Grande Bretagne in Athens [in English]
11. The Konstantinos A. Vovolinis Archive, Vol. 1 [in Greek]
1. 2009: 53 entrepreneurs in Parliament [in Greek]
2. 2008: Greek women in business [in Greek]
3. 2007: Greek entrepreneurs in action [in Greek]
4. 2006: Businesses lasting 100 years..more or less [bilingual, in English and Greek]
5. 2005: Viomichaniki Epitheorisis 1966-1985: Advertising comes of age [bilingual, in English and Greek]
6. 2004: The world of advertising in Viomichaniki Epitheorisis 1956-1965 [bilingual, in English and Greek]
7. 2003: Advertising in Viomichaniki Epitheorisis 1934-1955 [in Greek]
-Contribution of documentation and illustration material for third-party publications (selected titles):
1. Dritsa Margarita, Emporiki Bank 1907-2007, Emporiki Bank, Athens 2008
2. Maistrou E.-Mavrocordatou D.-Machairas G.-Belavilas N.-Papastefanaki L.-Polyzos G., Hellenic Company of Chemical Products and Fertilizers (1909-1993),
3. Melios N.-Bafouni E., Papastratos: 75 Years (1931-2006), Papastratos S.A., Athens 2006
4. Kostelenos G.-Melios N.-Bafouni E.-Papadopoulos A., Shell Hellas: 80 Years (1926-2000), Institute for the Study of Regional History and History of Enterprises, Athens 2007
5. Kolonas Vassilis, The Building of the Armed Forces Mutual Fund, Piraeus Bank Group Cultural Foundation, Athens 2006
6. Titan: 100 Years, Titan S.A.-Institute for the Study of the Regional History and History of Enterprises, Athens 2002
7. Melios N.-Bafouni E.-Steinhauer G., Commerce and Banks in Piraeus, Institute for the Study of Regional History and History of Enterprises, Piraeus 2002