On Saturday, 7th of November, Greece has entered its second national lockdown.
The decision was taken after a spike in new coronavirus cases and the increasing number of hospitalized COVID- 19 patients.
The total number of confirmed coronavirus cases has surpassed 50.000 with more than 700 deaths.
“We need to stop this wave” Kyriakos Mitsotakis, Prime Minister of Greece, said, announcing the new measures. “ I choose drastic measures sooner rather than later. Many European countries were forced to take action when the pandemic was out of control. I do not want to put the citizens life in such a danger.”
Under the rules of the national lockdown citizens are obliged to:
– wear a mask everywhere (indoors and outdoors)
– shut down non essential retail stores, bars, cafes, restaurants and gyms
– cancel all performances, conferences, events
– telework (at least 50% of staff in public and private companies )
– leave home only for specific reasons
– notify authorities everytime they leave home by sending an SMS (free of charge) to the 13033 service
Foreigners staying in Greece that have an international SIM card need to acquire a prepaid connection from one of the three mobile phone providers in Greece: Cosmote, Vodafone, Wind.
People are allowed to outdoors movement only for the following reasons:
– medical reasons
– outdoors exercising/ walk a pet
– to visit their children (in cases of divorced parents)
– to visit a public service / bank when digital transactions are not possible
– to go to a funeral
Movement between different regions of the country is only allowed for essential reasons (business, medical reasons, family reunification).
A night curfew has also been imposed (from midnight until 05.00 in the morning) with few exceptions.
In case of violation of one of the above rules, fines of 300 euros will be imposed.
People that need to travel abroad must present their airline booking at the airport along with a handwritten statement stating the reason of travel.
Travelers from abroad can enter Greece only with a COVID-19 negative test result.
For any further information, citizens can call 1520.
The national lockdown is expected to last until the beginning of December.
The Ministry of Finance has presented a 3.3- billion -euro package to support businesses and employees during this period.
If the lockdown works and the number of daily new coronavirus cases drops, the Greek government has promised to ease the restrictions.